- This article is about the book, Leviathan. For the airship, see Leviathan
|Publication date||October 6, 2009|
|Published by||Simon Pulse|
| Preceded by|
| Followed by|
Leviathan is a steampunk novel written by Scott Westerfeld and illustrated by Keith Thompson.
The book tells an alternate history of World War I, wherein the Central Powers (Clankers) are characterized by their use of mechanized war machines, while the Entente Powers (Darwinists) are characterized by their use of living creatures evolved specifically for war. The main characters are the teenage son of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, and a Scottish girl with dreams of joining the Air Force.
- Aleksandar Ferdinand - The exiled prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
- Deryn Sharp - A girl passing as a boy to serve in the royal air navy.
- Otto Klopp - Alek's master of mechanics.
- Wildcount Volger - Alek's fencing master.
- Newkirk - A Monkey Luddite who serves on the Leviathan.
- Dr. Nora Barlow - A boffin serving on a diplomatic mission to the Ottoman Empire.
- Captain Hobbes - The captain of the Leviathan.